Sunday, August 30, 2009

The 2:00 AM Blogger

Sorry for the lack of posts this past week. I knew waiting thirty days until I start treatment for my back problems was going to be tough, but I had not anticipated also taking a turn for the worse during this time. Surprise! (Note my dripping sarcasm.)

That said, I have some blessings to count:

1. I'm not near as freaked about the spinal injections. Frankly if someone said they 'd like to administer pain relief via a sharp spike through my eyeball, I think I'd be tempted. Plus, I called the physician and learned they use fluoroscopy which is much more exact in it's placement and subsequently a lot more effective. Effective is good.

2. We're getting a boatload of homeschooling done. Making sure the kids get some measure of structure is important to me and by afternoon I'm usually knackered so we are having really awesome homeschool mornings. We're accomplishing a great deal of targeted learning and I was able to get next year's plans more or less hammered out. We're one teeny-weeny lesson away from finishing the last straggling bits of the 2008-2009 school year and then we'll have completed every single thing we set out to do. Woo-hoo. My goal was to be done by September so we came in right on target.

3. This month we put 63% of our income on debt and lived off the other 37%. We've got six days left in our fiscal month and the envelopes still have a few bucks left in them, the cupboards are full, kids have shoes, I bought some glorious white-wash Core'dinations cardstock and Chris has gone out for lunch a handful of times. A budget is pretty much the coolest tool ever. It was so neat to need stuff for school and to have money already waiting in that category. Ditto for the aforementioned shoes etc. In a time that is so mentally taxing, it is an enormous relief to not have to think too hard about money too.

A nice side product of our new financial plan is that gifts mean so much more. When Chris comes home with something special for me (like vanilla soy creamer for my coffee) I know that the two bucks really effected his bottom line and came out of his personal spending money. It's very sweet. And the boys are enjoying how much more time we are spending together now that we are staying home and enjoying the wonderful things we already have instead of chasing after new thrills.

As soon as I'm crafting again - and can think clearly - I'll be back to my old self and blogging like a fiend. Right now, I don't even have the attention span to read the back cover blurb on a paper back, the pain is just too all-encompassing.

Wishing you all lots and lots of love. Please forgive my silences and occasional surliness. I'm doing the best I can and even that is a small, small thing compared to what I'm used to.

14 comments:

Janine Rachau said...

Nicole, I hope that you start feeling better. I will lift you in prayer, regularly.

I can relate to your comments! I do not think most people understand how pain can stop your ability to function at even a basic level. Glad to see you are able to remain positive and focus on those things.

I will look forward to your creating again. In the meantime, indulge in the little things that make you happy.

BIG Hugs!

Claudette said...

Your an inspiration to us all....hope your better soon.

Unknown said...

You know, if they were going to do something by going in through my eyeball, I'd want it to be very sharp. If they were going to use a blunt instrument, then I'd be worried.

I'm glad that treatment is out there, waiting for you. And glad that you're becoming less anxious about it. Although I wish that wasn't coming at the cost of more pain.

It's a joy to hear how your family is responding to the implications of the new budget -- once you have enough money for what you need, cash doesn't track with joy, and can be a tempting distraction from it.

Take care, be good to yourself, and my best to all the family.

Steve & Joyce Rodli said...

It is always good to count your blessings. On the wings of prayer. Happy happies. Joyce

Debbie said...

Nicole, your revised budget is so inspiring to me. I'm going to have to take a long look at our expenses and see what I can cut out. I would love to live on 37% of our income and pour the rest into debt. I want to be debt-free in 8 years.

Keep up the good work and know I'm thinking of you and wish you well with your health issues.

chksngr said...

I don't know how you manage it!! I'll be praying for the time to pass QUICKLY and with as little pain as possible...at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Mary C. said...

First, I am in awe of your positive attitude. Second, I am happy that your budget is working for you! Yay! Third, I want to know if you need anything...say cardstock or patterned paper or pre-folded cards? I have too much stuff and would love to share it with my budget burdened friend.

Amy Wing said...

Nicole - just wanted to check in on you. I have no idea how you do all you do! Homeschooling, pain, all that schnock (is schnock a word)?

I am jealous of your newfound and emerging financial security. I feel so buried and getting deeper every day... of course some of that is my fears about my mom's care and how much it will cost. Excuses, excuses... I have to talk to hubby about starting on the Money Makeover again. (It lasted about two months when we did it before - got the emergency fund set up and then petered out.)

Amy Wing said...

P.S. There should be an exciting announcement this week on the Gauche Alchemy blog... I think you know what I'm talking about. ;)

take a little piece of my art said...

Nicole, I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain!!! I wanted to also let you know I posted a link about your blog on my website again and FINALLY got a book done with some Gauche Alchemy stuff in it, I'd LOVE to hear what you think of it!!!! Feel better soon, my friend!!!

Kas said...

Sorry to hear about your pain. I just got off two years of disability due to problems and their pain. (still have some, but managing!)
blow something up this week....it can't hurt!
(homeschool hellos!)

Anonymous said...

Your budget posts are always so inspiring to me!

take a little piece of my art said...

Hey, Nicole!! I had to draw another name because the first winner of my giveaway didn't respond and you're the new winner!!!! Email me with your mailing address and I'll send your candy right out to you!!! My email is: meljustcole@aol.com Congrats!!!!!

Kathi said...

{{{((hugs))}}}

Hope you start feeling better.

Kudos for reaching your homeschooling goals.

P.S. I love the expression "knackered" and don't often see it.