Friday, September 17, 2010

Popcorn Post

I love popcorn in all it's many luscious varieties. Back in Canada my favorite flavors were Dill Pickle, Pickled Cowboy (half ranch/half pickle) and the always awesome Chicago Style (half carmel/half cheese). Do you have a favorite flavored popcorn? Is Kettle Corn more your style or pure straight up butter salt?

We were all in a pretty nasty funk yesterday. Three of us are getting sick, I've been falling a lot so pain has been a constant shadow... ugh. The best way to cure a funk is to drop the 'k' and have 'fun' instead.

Making fancy popcorn certainly qualifies and the boys could participate in most of the steps.

The first (spoiler alert: AND BEST) flavor we made was Cinnamon Bun popcorn. Wow. I used THIS RECIPE from Our Best Bites with a few changes:


We made double the popcorn and used about one and a half times the amount of popcorn called for. Like frosting, I prefer my caramel corn to be lightly candied, not coated in a thick shell. We also omitted the pecans (adding more popcorn to make up the difference) as I was out of them after making Chocolate Beet Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting.



You might know this recipe already as "Jello Popcorn". Yummy! This stuff turns me into a sticky eight year old. It's so awesome. Again, we added a lot more popcorn as I like to see some plain spots.

Inspired by these yumsters,


We drizzled vanilla candy melts over the cooled candy popcorn and the marriage was the most amazing Strawberries and Cream extravaganza... stop me, I'm gushing again.


Not wanting to leave savory out, we mixed up a batch of Garlic Parmesan Popcorn. My only mod was that we added a pinch of bacon salt to rev up the flavor. It was okay. The taste was very nacho-like. It was a bit too mild for our taste and wasn't very "WOW". We're going to add a little of this and a little of that,  pop it in the oven again and see if we can save it.

Remember that funk? It ran away with it's tail between it's legs in the face of all this:


Huge gooey thanks to Foodwhirl for Spotlighting my Cupcakes in a Jar and Chocolate Cake.

4 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

I love making caramel corn! Your varieties look scrumptious! Hope you're all feeling better!

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, rats! I wish you would have tried my cinnamon popcorn. It's my favorite. : )

Liz said...

I can't believe all the different flavours of popcorn you have!! Gee Australia is boring!

Julie said...

Holy Moly! I just saw this! Had no idea you could do so much with popcorn! that is and always has been my comfort food of choice! :)
Thanks for sharing.
Take care,
Julie