Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Garage Sale Decor

We have been garage sale crazy this year. A hard part of our Dave Ramsey: Total Money Makeover budgeting is that there really isn't spare cash for running off to the furniture store or to Target when I want to dress up the house or replace worn items.

Our whiteboard in the kitchen has completely given out on us so I've been on the look out for a new one, or a cork board that didn't cost a fortune. We went to a garage sale where at the end of day, everything was priced at fifty cents. I found a frame and a banged up cork board, handed over my dollar bill and came home to craft.



I've seen covered cork boards all over the place, but never with instructions. I think people assume it's too obvious to explain but I wasn't sure where to start - staples? Glue? Red Line tape?

First my husband cut down the cork to fit inside the frame:


Then I sprayed the cork with spray adhesive, applied fabric and smoothed out the wrinkles.




To simplify dealing with the excess fabric on the back, I taped the edges down:




I used my hot glue gun to tack down the corners, placed the cork in the frame and then ran a bead of glue around the seam (at the back) to make sure it was secure. 

Voila!


This is part of  my April Stash-busting as I was able to use some of the beautiful fabric I own.

I have some really exciting news for all of you sweet people who read my blog. Stay tuned :-)

11 comments:

chksngr said...

I think I might already have all of this stuff in my garage. Have you ever seen that show where they come to redecorate a room for you using $50 and whatever you have in your garage/attic/basement/storage, etc? I so could have a room redone on that show...I have all this stuff already!

Alyssa S said...

This is a great idea and came out super cute! Thanks for showing your "how to" also!

Christy said...

I love this. I just did something similar with thrift store finds and now my BF's daughter want 2 for her room. We're hunting for more thrifty finds.

Meg said...

That is one nice looking corkbord! What a steal for a buck. I love garage sales when steals like this are there :)

CathyR said...

I love your cork board. It looks great. Yay to you for recycling.

Carmen said...

Looks amazing and SO expensive! Brilliant crafty thriftiness Nicole.

And you tease about what's coming :P

Carol said...

This is great! Love that fabric and this reminds me I need to get my fabric out and put it somewhere I can SEE it, so I will use it!

Mary C. said...

Very cool idea, Nicole. I already have an old frame and some fabric. I could probably even score some cork if I asked around.
Thanks for sharing.

Mommy of Two 24/7 said...

Very cute! I am trying to figure out a way to update my white erase board in the kitchen- never even thought of using a picture frame for it. I might have one laying around... ;)

Thanks for the idea!

Follow my blog at: mommyoftwo247.blogspot.com

CraftyMomOf3 said...

G O R G E O U S!!!

i love this Nicole!! truly amazing...you NEED to sell these!!

hugs!
meredith

Foundinthe-ALI said...

Super cute!! I love garage sales. You have inspired me to recover my bulletin board :)