Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Frida Kahlo Mixed-Media Wall Art

It's Stampotique Designer's Challenge once again and I was so excited when Sarinda chose text paper to be the theme for their 101st challenge.

I LOVE text paper and I rarely do any projects without it. Hooray!

I thought it would be fun to make another Modern Girl, this time using Frida Grande.

After stamping her head and shoulders on book paper using Staz-On ink, I drew the rough shape of a blouse on deli paper, using it like you would tracing paper. 

Then I cut out the blouse from an embellished index card.

For her skirt I made a mono print using my Gelli Plate and layered long strips of the painted paper to form the skirt. I was going for a boho-formal vibe which I felt was consistent to what I've seen her wear in photos.
Then I added jewel and pearl embellishments.

The quote:

I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.
~~~~- Frida Kahlo

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. It's my last week as guest designer for Stampotique and again, I truly couldn't be more honored to have the privilege. 

Note: Some of you eagle-eyed blog readers may notice there are two different spellings of, "Frida" shown in the pictures. When I printed the quote I was working from an official Frida Kahlo website and her birth name had the 'e' in "Frieda" but the spelling she used professionally drops the 'e'. I went back and forth and finally decided to correct the art. Some of the pictures are from before, some after. For the final work I went with the commonly used, "Frida Kahlo"

17 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

Absolutely LOVE this!!

Kaz said...

This is fabulous Nicole, I've loved your creations over the month x

Basement Stamper said...

I love that quote and so happy you were able to join us this month as our guest designer! Your artwork is amazing!

Salla said...

What an amazing Frida! I think you did great in making her dress like something Frida would have worn. Love the gelli printed red skirt especially!

Unknown said...

I didn't notice the discrepancy in the spelling of her name until you pointed it out. Interesting trivia related to it. Nice.

Reflective Art Studio said...

Nicole this is a wonderful creation thank you so much.
Sarinda

Itaya Art said...

Very lovely artwork! Love her skirt from your Gelli prints. :)

E J Brown said...

Great job! Just love the quote....it fits me as well!
Hip hip hooray for all the strange ones!!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Fabulous work - and I love both the quote and the skirt!

Cocofolies said...

I LOVE the character of Frida, and you really honor her memory by doing such wonderful mixed media art project with her beautiful face. Really stunning, I love it !!! Coco x

Cocofolies said...

And by the occasion, it's the first time I come on your blog and see your art ! Great creations Nicole ! :)

Sue said...

This is wonderful Nicole, an amazing piece xx

Valerie H. Marshall said...

Nicole, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to stop by to leave a comment! I've been drewling over your gorgeous Stampotique creations and I'm so excited that you were able to join us this month! Your work is superb! I'll be blog stalking you...
Val :)

Astrid Stulemeijer (AssiCrafts) said...

So cool what you can do with the lovely Frida!!! Thanks for joining our team this month! XOXO

Maggi said...

This is awesome and I love that quote!

Sparkly Engineer said...

Haven't been here in a while and just had to stop by now that I have a bit of time. I'm sure glad I did. I really like this project.

I love using text in my projects. However the one from last night was a total flop. Ah well, we learn from our mistakes and mistake number one is do not create while numbed by sleeping pills lol

Pablilo said...

I wish u would sell these!