Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cake # 20: Banana Tres Leches Cake


If you try one cake from the 52 Cakes Project please choose this one. It's the best cake I've ever had in my whole life and it's EASY. Really, really easy. Plus there's no exotic or expensive ingredients.

I'm not a fan of bananas or milk so a Banana Tres Leches cake was truly a dark horse choice for us. But this project is about trying new things, so I went for it.

You'll notice that it starts with a mix... *sigh* I officially take back all the nasty things I've said and thought about doctored mixes in the past. They're delicious and convenient. I was wrong. Seriously folks, this cake changed thirty-eight years of prejudice against mixes - it's that good!





Another thing you might note is that I added calories next to the ingredients. I think being healthy requires making knowledgeable choices and I tailored this recipe to reduce the amount of fat and calories to acceptable levels. I don't think I could stomach a 700 calorie cupcake right now, but a very decadent large slice of cake for under 400 calories suits me just fine.

Banana Tres Leche Cake

1 white or french vanilla cake mix 2160 cals / 42 gr fat
1 1/4 Cup water
2 TBL vegetable oil 240 cals / 27 gr fat
3 eggs 230 cals / 15 gr fat
1 Cup mashed bananas (2-3 medium) 200 cals / 1 gr fat
1 can (14 oz) fat-free sweetened condensed milk 1119 cals
1/2  Cup light coconut milk  75 cals/ 6.5 gr fat
1/2  Cup fat-free half 'n' half (I used a little coconut creamer too) 71 cals

2 TBL whipped cream (we used the spray kind) 15 cals / 1 gr fat
banana slices (1/5 banana) 20 cals 0 fat
2 tsp toasted coconut 17 cals / 2 gr fat


12 pieces = 341 cals 7.6 grams fat --- with toppings = 393 cals 10.6 grams fat (how we cut it)
16 pieces = 256 cals 5.7 grams fat --- with toppings = 308 cals  8.7 grams fat


Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).

Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and mashed bananas with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Poke top of cake every 1/2 inch with a fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking.

In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk and fat-free half 'n' half. Carefully pour  over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight until mixture is absorbed into cake.

To serve, top with whipped cream, toasted coconut and banana slices. Store covered in refrigerator.


Adapted from BettyCrocker.com

Linked up with:

9 comments:

Renee said...

Nicole, thank you for all of the yummy treats on your blog. Everything looks so yummy; especially today's treat! Oh, and your cards are really cute, too! Thanks for sharing!!

Juls said...

this looks so yummy! Hugs Juls

chksngr said...

I love Tres Leches and I love Banana Cake. I am thinking this would require a coolish morning, a GREAT cup of coffee and everyone else in the house asleep to be perfect! lol

www.StarHughes.com said...

Yum, looks delicious!!! I love banana bread so I'd imagine I'd love banana cake even more! Especially with frosting on it!
Star Hughes Living

Mitralee said...

I need to try this... Looks like a good plan for sat am!

Mary C. said...

I would love to have a piece of this cake right now. I am thinking I will have to make this one. Maybe when the RGH gets home.

Anonymous said...

I love Tres Leches! I'm pinning this one!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Jenn said...

The best cake you have every had huh? Well I have got to try this!

Helena Davey said...

I am making this this weekend! And if it turns out, I will make it again next week for our house warming party :) It looks so yummy. I am not much of a baker (I wish I were, I am just not good at it) so we will see!