Monday, December 10, 2012

Bird on Branch Christmas Tag

One thing I realized this year during the Twelve Tags with a Feminine Twist is that I really don't bring a lot of my own style to the tags. I tend to make my own version of the designers tag and that's it.

But, I know it's much more fun, and more authentic, to create something my own style that is inspired by the tag of the day. Does that make sense?


My first attempt was earlier today with the Snowman Tag - I flicked some red paint (oh, how I love red splatters!) and stenciled on some white paint through punchinella - and just that little bit made a huge difference in my perspective. 


So when I approached Jennifer McGuire's GORGEOUS tag from Day 4 I did my best to do it my way. Namely I used hand made paper, gesso, lots of ink and hand cut elements. The only purchased product was the scrap of Bazzil I cut into the branch and some jewels  - even the ribbon was from a package we'd received.

I also drew inspiration from Tim Holtz's tag from April, it too used a bird on a branch motif with a background reminiscent of book paper and a color scheme mixing warm yellow/oranges with blues and browns. Over at Simon Says Stamp the current challenge is "inspired by Tim's 12 Tags" and I have to say I had a great time looking through his tags deciding what to draw my ideas from.


It felt a lot better to make it my way and it's a good reminder that it's just not as fun unless it comes from your heart.

11 comments:

grrlpup said...

I love the background colors! Reminds me of tortoiseshell and camera film and other bygone things. :)

Jane Wetzel said...

OH...LOVE LOVE LOVE this...warm burst of color!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous tag, your background is slee catching and a lovely backdrop for your lovely bird. Great bit of recycling too. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show with this beauty. Tracy x

Jennifer said...

This is a gorgeous tag. Love the color selection and the text birdie. Actually, everything about it. Love it.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it!!! Just pinned it :)

Mitralee said...

Very pretty! Love the gems!

SmilynStef said...

I struggled with yesterday's tag too ... and found it worked much better when I just made it my own rather than trying to adapt the original creator's style ... this tag just screams *you* and I love that ... stunning.

All of my Todays said...

I love this tag the bird sits so well on it. X

Diane said...

Love your tag...and how you made it your "own"...all week I have pretty much followed the samples...but couldn't agree with you more to make it "YOUR" own...but am in a time crunch and it was easier not to have to think too much...lol...and the techniques have been fun...love seeing all the other tags...and hey... LOVE your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Not having seen what your other stuff looks like or being familiar with what your style is I say you MUST do you own thing, coz I love this tag. It's awesome! Not sure what I like about it. The styling? The texture? The COLOUR! Beautiful.

Tracey said...

GORGEOUS!!! LOVE all the details you have added, and that background is amazing!!Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show