Monday, March 5, 2012

Cake #43: Vanilla Mini-Chip Donuts with White Chocolate Caramel Glaze


More Cake Donuts!

I like them better than cupcakes - I know, I'm a freak, but they're cake you can serve them for breakfast without feeling too negligent. Plus they come together in minutes and don't take very long to bake. All good things.

This was a dreamt up combination of our beloved chocolate chip muffins and our favorite " plain donuffin" recipe. Adding mini-chips really changes the whole character of the donut in a really great way. 

For the glaze I tried a new coffee creamer - White Chocolate Caramel Latte - and it made a terrifically flavorful topping. I think this glaze would be spectacular on a bundt cake too.

I plan to tinker with the spices a bit. I loved how the cinnamon and nutmeg complimented the chocolate and vanilla but I'm curious about how a pinch of cardamon would be. I'm guessing delicious!

Vanilla Mini-Chip Donuts with White Chocolate Caramel Glaze



Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (more or less to taste)

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2-4 TBS White Chocolate Caramel Coffee Creamer



Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly spray doughnut pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Stir in milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Beat together until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill each doughnut cup approximately 3/4 full. Bake 8 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until doughnuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.

To make glaze, blend confectioners' sugar and coffee creamer in a small bowl. Dip doughnuts in the glaze and allow to set before serving.


 I set my dripping donuts on a cooling rack on top of waxed paper. It keep the mess to a minimum and my kids love sneaking into the kitchen to grab a little bit of the glaze puddles.

See the rest of my 52 Cakes HERE.


3 comments:

Maggi said...

There's too much drool on my keyboard to make a proper comment right now. :P

donna!ee said...

YUMMY...this is what's for breakfast! thank you much :)

Unknown said...

Never thought to use creamer to flavor icing. Great idea.