Friday, March 2, 2012

Oatmeal Fudge Bars


Everyone and their neighbor was pinning these Oatmeal Fudge Bars on Pinterest this morning so I thought, "why pin when I can bake?" And bake I did.  I had to giggle just a little when I read in the comments section, "Delicious LDS Dessert Bars" as I've never know a dessert to have a religion. We're not LDS but man, I LOVE the local cooking. People here in Utah cook like I do in all it's wheat grinding, bread baking, homemade glory. I love that. Anyhow...

I thought my men-folk deserved a nice treat because they did a whole lot of shoveling this morning. This is our eight foot fence:


So yeah, they had their work cut out for them.




Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Makes 36 bars
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 × 13-inch baking pan and set aside.

Cream together butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl; add eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl, and then add to creamed mixture. Mix in oats.




Combine sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and margarine in a heavy saucepan, and heat until chocolate is just melted. Stir in vanilla and nuts.


Spread two-thirds of the dough into prepared baking pan.


 Spread with chocolate mixture.


 Drop remaining one-third of dough on top by spoonfuls.


 Bake 25 minutes.



Cool and then cut into bars.


These are really, really rich and incredibly delicious.
Highly recommended.




1 comment:

Lina Thomlinson said...

Those look to be right up my alley! But your poor guys with all of that shoveling. A reward is definitely in order. I'm so glad we've been spared any big snow storms this year as I almost broke down in tears last year during my third hour of shoveling when I saw how little of a dent I'd made in all that time. I really wasn't looking forward to another winter like that so we really lucked out this year.