Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scrappy Spring Burlap Wreath

(please click on the picture to see this up close)

My broken foot makes getting around kind of tricky. So I thought instead of grumbling over all the things I can't do right now, I'd ask the boys to gather up a few key crafting items and I'd host my own personal supply challenge. 


I requested my zip-loc bag of scrap bits of cardstock, red, orange and yellow color mist (homemade), scissors, a punch, glue dots and my heat gun. I also had a piece of paper towel (two-ply) to protect my table and a few brads. When you are working with only a few supplies, keeping your color palette simple and analogous (similar, using colors next to one another on the color wheel) really helps move things along and tie it all together.


Flowers seemed like the obvious choice - if I messed them up too bad it wouldn't be any manner of loss since this was my scraps. If they worked then I'd have some cute embellishments.


These are just two scalloped circles of white cardstock cut along each scallop with scissors, sprayed with mist, crumpled and layered. The centers are flower punched yellow cardstock, sprayed and squished until they looked right.

For the leaves I tore green paper, crumpled it and added some ink to the edges. 

At this point I asked for some puffy paint and added a little oomph to the edges of some of the flowers.


The rest is just lemon (yellow) and lime (green) produces bags from yesterday's trash and buttons that came in the swag bag from the guys half-marathon... they were within arms reach so I considered it a fair addition. After the paper towel dried, I cut it into circles and made filler flowers (you can read all about it in this post). 

Working with burlap - to me at least - is a huge, itchy, mess. So last time I went on a burlap bender I cut and covered a whole stack of Dollar Store wreath forms. I was singing my own praises at the ease of just grabbing one and having it ready to go. A couple of glue dots later and my Scrappy Spring Wreath was finished.

This was far from "quick" but it was easy and super-cheap. I don't think it would have been all that much better if I was able to move around easily and explore the vastness of my stash.

If you have any questions about the flowers please let me know and I can post a tutorial on how to make them. The only odd thing I did was melt a piece of produce bag for an interesting center of the flower in the 3rd pic - the rest is pretty straightforward.

Linked Up With:

10 comments:

kim c said...

very creative way to rest your broken foot. lovely wreath!

Kim's Treasures said...

So very pretty!!! I hope you're healing quickly!!!

Cheryl Valadez said...

Hi Nicole! This wreath is fab and those flowers are amazing! They look like the very expensive flowers that are sold in fancy scrapbook stores. I've been guilty of picking them up in the past ;D If it's not too much trouble, a tutorial would be awesome.

BTW, thanks for the well-wishes on my blog ;D

I hope your foot is quickly mending!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I think it turned out wonderfully! I like that you added the puff paint for a different touch. I would have never thought of that. Your brain is just so purty!

bev said...

Very pretty...hope you are feeling better:)

Patti said...

This is adorable...the flowers are so sweet and the color is just cheery!

Eileen Bergen said...

I'd love a tutorial of the flowers. All your flowers are just gorgeous!

You would pay a lot for flowers like this in the scrapbooking aisle. That makes them even more fun to make!

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

What a creative way to use up scraps! I had no idea those flowers were homemade when I first looked at the picture. Great work!

Jessica@MakeItLovely said...

oooo very pretty! I really like the flowers.

trophyw.blogspot.com said...

gorgeous-I can't believe those flowers are paper