Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wedding Shrine

I've been wanting to make a wedding shrine for Chris and I ever since I started making them a year or so ago but I was intimidated by the importance of the event and didn't want to do it wrong. So silly!

Then, a few months ago I thought up the theme that I wanted the shrine to have and it all came together.

I wanted to make a piece that spoke to the glamor of a wedding and the blissful utility of marriage. What better to represent blissful utility than an old well-used and truly worn cake pan? Cake, what we celebrate our occasions with, how we delight our children and fill our husbands stomachs? It was perfect.

So I scouted out the thrift shops until I found the perfect pan with the right amount of distress.


Then, employing paint stir sticks, an old wedding topper, skulls from a dollar store garland, Tim Holtz dangly sparkly expensive embellies and more hours then you'd ever imagine, I ended up with this:


Be still my beating heart!




This is a project I will treasure for the rest of my life. So pleased it came together.




Just an FYI, I have some extra architectural elements (the big plaster flourish) that I'm thinking about adding to my Etsy shop. Is that something any of you would be interested in?

Here's a picture of the plaster attached to the cake pan to give you an idea of how they look plain:


Linked Up To:

17 comments:

grrlpup said...

It's beautiful!!

Lina Thomlinson said...

LOVE this! The perfect mix of creepy cool and sentimental. I just might steal your idea of sticking skull heads on a plain old statue/wedding topper. Very cool.

Lisa - papergrace said...

Oh Nicole....that is amazing!! I love the significance of this from the cake pan to the wedding vows and the shrine. So incredibly beautiful. The flourish is stunning. I can see all the detail and time you put into it and it is PERFECT.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You have every right to treasure this...it is amazing.

I love how you thought to use a cake pan. I love all the significance in this piece.

Again...amazing!

Carmen said...

You just get better and better - I'm just... shaking my head in awe at you missus!

LOVE it!

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns said...

AHHHmazing!! Love it!!
I came over after I read your comment on my blog, about the Geek Squad Birthday. I am your newest follower and would love the follow back ;)
I am totally digging your blog, well done!

Emily Stephens said...

That's beautiful! Thanks so much for linking it up with my first Whip it up Wednesday party. I appreciate it and look forward to seeing what you link up next week! :)

Best,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

BettyAnn Maki said...

I agree, a little creepy but beautiful.
Love you. mom

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

love. my hubby and i are big tim burton fans, and i'm sure he'd be proud!

I would LOVE for you to link this up at my link party, Once Upon a Weekend on my blog Family Ever After. The party just started!

♥Rach H at www.familyeverafter.blogspot.com

Kei said...

That looks so amazing! Love it!

thenewwittys said...

I totaly dig your style ;) this shrine (while somewhat creepy) is totally rad...might consider something like this since our annv is in Oct. the 20th. And I love Dia de Los Muertos theme.

FerrellGraph-x said...

It's so creepy cool! I LOVE the plaster element! Awesome!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer

Ann said...

A true pleasure to visit your incredible blog. LOVED the Day of the Dead vibe. Thanks for the link. Best wishes.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Probably one of the most original Halloween crafts I have ever seen...It's like Nightmare before Christmas meets the Crow. Love it.

Pinning you. Cuz I HAVE to.

In honor of all Hallow's eve...I'm throwing a party blog-style: Halloween Link Party @ momnivore's dilemma. Feel free to stop by anytime to link or get inspired...

Katie said...

Beautiful! I may have to make something similar for my boyfriend when we eventually get married... he loves Day of the Dead/skulls. He would go nuts over this!

Maureen said...

FABULOUS! Absolutely fabulous!
-Maureen
www.releasemecreations.com

Jasmine said...

Just amazing! I LOVE the skeletons! This is a fantastic piece of work...{and I completely agree with your expensive comment!}