Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Valentine Curio Box featuring Gelli Prints and a Tutorial

When I saw Christy's awesome mixed-media curio box I was inspired to pull mine out and finally make something. Valentine's Day seemed like a perfect topic as love is celebrated year round so it can stay out and not look too theme-y.

This project was a great way to use some of my favorite Gelli prints that I shared in my last posts here and here.

Here's a close up of some of the cells:



The edges were a perfect way to highlight some of my favorites:


And here's the back, I just loved this print and wanted to make sure it had the chance to shine:



One of the fun things Christy did was make a foil heart. I loved her tutorial but I've always made mine a little differently so I thought I'd share my process. Basically, the difference is that I cover my foil with masking tape and then gesso it instead of trying to Mod Podge paper to the foil. To be honest, I haven't had any luck doing that - I'm all thumbs. Masking tape makes it easy :-)













Ta-Da! 
Your very own light-weight, practically-free, custom, mixed-media embellishment.


Or if you want to watch the video, here's a link: http://vine.co/v/bJUF06giIh2

(OMG! Vine is a hoot, no? Look me up there so we can hang out.)

Available on Etsy

Linked up at Tatertots and Jello






5 comments:

Kathi said...

Soooo fabulous.

Jennifer White said...

Way cool Nicole, what a fun idea. I am grateful that you take the time to blog about it.

Nathaly said...

Wow! Jaime ;-). I Like

Sparkly Engineer said...

The box is darling but I really like the tutorial and will be making lots of use of it.

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! Clever box Nicole, it's just gorgeous xx