Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sketches, Distressing and Masking with Dies

Wow! Do you ever go to try a new technique and other challenges are rattling around in your head, begging so loudly to be tried that you roll them all up into one MONDO project?

Yeah... me too.

Lisa over at PapertreyInks Make it Monday posted the most excellent tutorial explaining how to mask with dies. Why didn't I ever think of this??? I'm a stenciling, masking fool and yet this brilliant way to use my dies never crossed my mind. Not once.

See the pretty I made:


Do you see the masking?

*hint, it's a big flower under the toasted coconut*

How about now?

*it's the border along the bottom of the pics*

And I got to use lots of my Papertrey lovelies: Victorian Lace Border, Beautiful Blooms II, Make a Wish

The challenge at Simon Says Stamp blog this week is Show Some Distressing. Um... distressing is my thing so I was ALL IN! Like cannon-balling into the deep end of the pool on a hot day, all in!


Tim Holtz Distress Ink in  Mustard Seed, Rusty Hinge and Wild Honey were such a perfect match for the MyMindsEye Fine and Dandy paper that it was easy. All I need to do was distress the living heck out of my edges with my Cutterbees and my Tim Holtz Distressing tool and I was good to go.


And finally, I used this GORGEOUS sketch from Sketchy Thursdays:

11 comments:

Kathi said...

Fabulous layout! I love the masking, distressing, colors, papers, and photos. The sewing adds the perfect finishing touch!

Unknown said...

Wow, phenomenal masking! Thanks for playing with Sketchy Thursdays! xoxo

Kim said...

this is beautiful. I didn't understand what you meant by masking with dies so I went to check out the video. I have never really wanted a die cutting machine, but now I do! What a beautiful look you get from that- I love yours!

Sarah said...

Just beautiful - the masking is superb and I adore your design and eye for details and colours!
Thank you for playing along with Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Sarah.

Diana Fisher said...

I'm a big fan of yellow and the tones on this page. It is so bright and fun! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeee this! I love love love all the yellow and that little cake! Thanks sooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Anonymous said...

Love the masking and the awesome colors. Thanks for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays this week!

Tiff said...

I love your layouts!!! There are always little hidden gems scattered along the pages! More please!!!? LOL! Thanks for the Faber-Castell love :)

Inkyfingers said...

What a fabulous layout. I loved all the little details and how expertly you've used the techniques.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Fab layout! Thanks for the link to the die masking technique. There were a lot of other terrific tips there too.

Lynne Forsythe said...

Nichole....what a STELLAR layout...and all it's INKY GOOOODNESS!!

thanks bunches for playing along with the Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!!