Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cake # 11 Mocha Snacking Cake


I love snack cake. Passionately and without reservation. It has something to do with it's icing-less-ness. Yes, I'm making up words now.

The absence of frosting makes the cake seem almost virtuous and therefore increases eatability tenfold.

This cake is usually thick and dense but I decided to make individual Bundts
Nordic Ware 54737 Platinum Collection Cast Aluminum Garland Bundt Pan
with half the recipe and pour the remaining batter in my beloved 7x11 pan. The mini-bundts were an absolute failure ( how on earth is a person supposed to get the cake to release from all those little crevices? I can't get mine to work ever!). So the above cake is half a cake... which is plenty when it's this freakishly delicious.

A word about the batter, I'm not a batter eater. I don't scarf cookie dough or dip my fingers in the brownie bowl. I like my baked goods cooked. With one exception - this cake batter (complete with raw egg DANGER!!!! *sarcasm*) it tastes like whipped heavenly mocha fudge. I'm powerless against it's siren song. Here's the recipe, please let me know if you make it, it's a favorite of ours.


Mocha Snacking Cake

2/3 C Butter, softened
1 ½ sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 C flour
¾ C cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 1/3 C strong coffee, cooled

Grease 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients.
Add to butter mixture alternately with coffee, start and finish with flour.
Beat until almost smooth.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 45-55 minutes.

Serve with whip cream, ice cream or powdered sugar...


Unless your married to my husband in which case you need to add something sweet to the top. In the spirit of Trying New Things I made Texas Sheet Cake Frosting. Yum. We barely used half the batch and I was freaked out over the whole "pour it on hot" thing. Wow! Delicious stuff.

Texas Sheet Cake Frosting:

1 stick butter
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
6 tbsp. milk
1 lb. box powdered sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (optional and avoided)
1 tsp. vanilla


During the last 5 minutes of baking your cake, measure butter, milk, and cocoa in a saucepan and heat to boiling, stirring well.

Add sugar, nuts, and vanilla.

Mix well.

Pour hot frosting over hot cake and spread evenly.

Cool completely before cutting.


~~~~~~~

Featured on CRESCENDOh.com

I'm adding a new button to my "Where's Nicole" page. My Recycled Storage Solution was featured on Jenny Doh's incredible Crescendoh Blog. I couldn't be more flattered. Thank you Jenny!




Also a big huge thanks to Hippy Chiquita for posting my paper flower tutorial.

3 comments:

Dunx said...

So is snack cake just cake without icing, then? I'm not a fan of icing myself, with the exception of cream cheese, so by this definition the only kind of cake I like is snack cake!

It does look very tasty, though.

Laura said...

hmmmmm looks sooooo good, i think you should come and live at my house :) xxx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

If you ever figure out how to work with those mini-bundt pans, please share the secret.

How can they sell them if there's no way to successfully make the mini-cakes? Maybe it's the cuteness factor.

Congratulations on your featured posts, Nicole. Both project are lovely.