Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Most Important Trip...

It seemed like an appropriate time to post this in light of a possible government shut down tomorrow.  While our nation's leaders squabble like children in a play yard, military families will be going without pay. It's reprehensible.

But, instead of complaining about it, I'm choosing to use this political unrest as a concrete reminder of how important it is to meet people half way, to reach across the aisle, to find a middle path.


Here's the base; homework, a greeting from a dear friend, my fruit bouquet tag, a walmart reciept, a bit of a letter from my mom and a piece of a book jacket Brayden picked up for me at the library sale as he knows how much I love skulls... just the sort of meaningful flotsam that collects on flat surfaces:


I'm really in love with making art with these bits and pieces of my life. It feels infinitely more personal then buying the latest release from a trendy paper company (not that I don't like that too).


One of the best bits on this piece is how the sun is peeking out above the Eiffel Tower (normal enough) but it's also behind the suited skeletal drones. This sort of thing never fails to amuse me.

6 comments:

Dara Lynn said...

You said it sista!!! My husband is a disabled veteran who served in the Gulf War...my son is currently in the Air Force stationed in Japan...having to face things we will probably never face in our lifetime...and the last thing he needs to be concerned with is his pay.....it just makes my blood boil!!! Makes me wanna vote for Donald Trump!

Calicojoan said...

Great post especially for right now. If everyone would adopt that attitude, we just might be able to get ourselves out of this mess, but until then, you my friend have hit the nail on the head! Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

This is amazing darling, i love seeing the underneath and base layer of your art. How fab is the image on that book cover !!!! and the sentiment is so perfect, if only everyone thought like this is life xxx

Carmen said...

Gorgeous Nicole. I was going to ask you what stamp that skull image was :D What a fab son of yours!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

A sad state of affairs leads to a poignant collage, Nicole.

My heart goes out to the people being hurt by the failure of our political "leaders".

Kathi said...

Wonderful!

"One of the best bits on this piece is how the sun is peeking out above the Eiffel Tower (normal enough) but it's also behind the suited skeletal drones. This sort of thing never fails to amuse me."

I agree.

I also love the way you use layers, color, patterns, and texture.