Friday, April 22, 2011

Cake # 13 Confetti Angel Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting

Last week my back popped out (nothing new there) and while I was doubled over in an awkward pose I looked up at my top shelf and saw a glimmer of red. On that shelf, red means cake mix which perplexed me as we're a "from scratch" operation around here. I summoned a boy and a chair and sent him up on my countertop to investigate further. (Don't judge, they're fairly full-sized people with good balance)

To my great pleasure it was a dusty old box of Confetti Angelfood cake from Canada. Yum!!! There is no American equivalent. I've tried similarily named food-stuffs from several states and it always tastes wrong. Yes, wrong... not different. I'm not very PC when it comes to Canadian baked goods.

We mixed it up immediately. Like, dropped everything we were doing while squealing over cake immediately. I even stayed in the kitchen to supervise in my pretzeled state. It's that good.


I'm sure from scratch Angel Food (chiffon is the other name, right?) cake is very good but I really don't think it makes any kind of sense to mess with perfection. And Canadian Angel Food Confetti Cake is perfection - even the no-name brands.



My DH likes his "frosted" with a mix of instant chocolate pudding and Cool-Whip. With full apologies to my lovely mom-in-law... NO WAY. That's just not right. We're already off in the weeds with a boxed mix, I'm not slathering on Cool-Whip.

Where I'm from we make it in a way everyone calls "birthday cake" which is a Seven Minute Frosting with the slightest hint of mint. It's divine. But only if it's white, light green or pink. When blue it tastes terrible... are you seeing all the weird history and issues I'm dealing with here?

The trouble is, I only like my Angel Food Cake "Birthday Cake"style and 7 Minute Frosting doesn't work above 5000 ft elevation. It actually starts to fail after 3000 ft and is deemed utterly impossible at elevation. We live at over 6000 ft so I needed to come up with something new.

Fluffy White Frosting to the rescue! 
*Yes, I know mine is pink. "White" is just the name of it.


Fluffy White Frosting is very similar to 7 Minute Frosting except you can make it with less fuss, wherever you live and in any kind of wheather. SCORE!

To make things even better, it's way lower in calories then buttercream and it's fat free. There's even protein hiding in amongst all that sugar. The only real issue with it is that it sets up quickly after it's made so you need to make it immediately before frosting your cake.

16 Servings; enough for a 2-3 layer cake, a 9 x 13” cake, or 24 cupcakes

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt

4 unbeaten egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.

Uncover and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Meanwhile, place the egg whites in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer.

Beat at high speed until soft peaks form.

Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the egg whites while the mixer is running.


Continue beating until the mixture has cooled and is light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add the vanilla and the tiniest bit of mint extract if you're so inclined. I also added a touch of red food coloring. I was aiming for the softest pinkish-white.


Frost the cake immediately since it sets up quickly. One fun thing to do with the swirls is tap them with a back of a spoon. It makes all sorts of horns all over the cake. I'm a boy mom, even pink cakes end up spiked.


Amount Per Serving (of frosting)
Calories 104 Calories from Fat 0

14 comments:

CathyR said...

Looks yummy. That is one of my favorite cakes and frostings, though not together. Call me weird, but I like my angel food cake naked or with berries on top. I love the gooey crust it gets on the top.

jacque4u2c said...

I like have drool running down my face this looks so YUMMY!!!!!

KC said...

ok so where can I get some canadian angel food cake? can I order it online...you have me convinced that I must try it...I wonder if we have a canadian store in the city? this looks so yummy...I'm defiantly going to try that frosting!

Nora said...

Calories?!?!? What's THAT?!?!?!

Carmen said...

I have never even heard of that cake! I clearly have not lived!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Now I want this and will never have it because I will never go to Canada. aarrrggghhhh!

I really hope that your back is better.

Mary C. said...

Really, Nicole! Please stop tempting us with these delicious looking treats. My thighs expand just thinking about it.
And this one...really? Canadian? Where can we get it? Or are we all just going to have to dream of it for the rest of our lives?
XO!

Dara Lynn said...

Angel food cake is just a slice of heaven! I am definitely going to try your recipe for the frosting this weekend!!!!!

www.StarHughes.com said...

Boy oh boy, that cake - and that frosting - looks AMAZING. And I love your sense of humor in your posts - too funny! I'm a huge fan!

Unknown said...

Oh bless you! I was just emailing my God Mother to see if she had "Gram's white fluffy frosting" she used to put on our Angel Food cakes for our birthdays. Grandma is no longer with us, but my birthday is Wednesday and I've been thinking about her and the cake she *would have* made me... Thank you so much for posting it. It is the ONLY frosting for a perfect Angel Food cake! =)

Unknown said...

Oh bless you! I was just emailing my God Mother to see if she had "Gram's white fluffy frosting" she used to put on our Angel Food cakes for our birthdays. Grandma is no longer with us, but my birthday is Wednesday and I've been thinking about her and the cake she *would have* made me... Thank you so much for posting it. It is the ONLY frosting for a perfect Angel Food cake! =)

kate said...

Does the hot sugar portion COOK the egg whites so I'm not eating any raw egg material?

Michelle said...

Your recipe calls for sugar, and not confectioners sugar. Doe it matter for the recipe??

Nicole Maki said...

Michelle, this recipe needs granulated white sugar, not confectioners sugar. It matters for the frosting to turn out right :-)