Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mixed Media Cigar Box


I was inspired by the painted cigar box that I purchased last month to try making one of my own. 


Houses often symbolize yourself and when people have house dreams - like someone coming over and seeing how messy it is - it usually is interpreted to be a person's fears about others finding out about the "messy" parts of you.

You may have noticed that houses are a recurring motif in art - they are something we all relate too instinctively.


These houses though are intended to bring cheerful, happy silliness into your life. To add some color and some funky joyful abandon.


The value of having an art piece that is a box is that you can write your dreams or your worries down and put them in the box. Then the box can carry them for you and you can move boldly forward.



I'll be listing it on Etsy once I'm feeling a little stronger.

Thanks, Kathi for the cigar boxes.

Which house pictured is most like you?

6 comments:

chksngr said...

Now that is amazing! I love it!!!

Gez Butterworth said...

Beautiful box. Your houses are all so pretty I couldn't pick a fav. So hope you are feeling miles better. Sending hugs, Gez xx

Kathi said...

You're welcome.

I knew you'd work wonders with the boxes. And I was right. :D

Wonderful. I love all the textures and colors you used.

Fabulous!

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I just adore the sweet little houses and the colors are amazing! I am your newest follower~
xoxo
Amie @ Pinnkapotamus

Carmen said...

gORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS. aND ALTHOUGH i LOVE TO READ ABOUT WHAT DREAMS REPRESENT - i NEVER KNEW THAT ABOUT THE HOUSES.

(Aah poop - sorry about the caps lock but am too hot and bothered to re-type...)

Anyhoo, I think I relate most to the polka dotted roof house, because the roof is a little lop sided and that's how I feel both physically and mentally most of the time :D

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love this piece. Just so you and so free.

My house would be the one on the right. Just a little off kilter but still happy and standing.