Friday, July 22, 2011

Cake #26: Amaretto Cake Balls

This recipe calls for leftover cake. And I know having leftover cake can be as elusive as a unicorn sighting but sometimes... like, say, when you make a giant, bordering on obscene, trifle, you do end up with some cake in the freezer. In times like that, think of these.


I first heard of rum truffles when reading Vanessa's lovely blog, Nifty Thrifty Things


She's nice. We talked. I like her very much.


Anyhow. All you do is crumble up your leftover cake, sprinkle it with cocoa powder and add liquor a table spoon at a time until it makes a nice playdoh-like blob. Roll it in little balls and then roll them in cocoa powder or sprinkles (we don't like sprinkles, even though they're very pretty). Delicious.

These are a grown up version of cake pops and I'm a big fan. 

We used Amaretto di Saronna but I bet Kahlua would be awesome too.

Be sure to pop by Vanessa's blog to see them styled all pretty. Mine are three days old and I'm not walking well so food styling was out of my scope in my current condition.

P.S. Did you see my ugly plate? I love those blue-smoosh atrocities. Back when I was a baby grown-up we used to host a care circle for our church and the first few weeks I went through a whole trees worth of paper plates. Appalled by the waste and the expense, I went to Goodwill and found a stack of thirty ugly restaurant plates for a dime a piece. We never bought paper plates again and since then whenever I send desserts home with guest I can say, "keep the plate" and not even bat an eye. Those ugly plates have saved the environment and our budget a thousand times over in the past ten years. Now they stand as symbol for who I try to be.

Check out the rest of my 52 Cakes HERE

6 comments:

Juls said...

these look yummy!! Ameretto is one of my fav things! Hugs Juls

autovit said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh my...those look yummy!

I do the same thing with plates. My momma taught me that. Sure is cheaper plus it is prettier.

Mary C. said...

Yuuuuuummmmm! Cake with liquor! How could you go wrong?
Love you girl!

Unknown said...

What a fab idea...I've only done cake pops with frosting. But adult cake pops sound SO much better. Will try these when I am back on carbs.

Lisa - papergrace said...

Oh HELLO!!! These look and sound divine. Must have. :D

Cool idea with the plates, too.