Friday, December 16, 2011

Cake #42: Eggnog Cake Donuts and a Mug Rug

When I was a kid in British Columbia my favorite treat was a drink called PDQ which was powdered eggnog crystals. You stirred it into a glass of milk, like you would Nesquick chocolate milk, and you were good to go. It was from the makers of Ovaltine and like so many of their more interesting flavors, it has been discontinued... for a decade or two... but every Christmas I look for it in hope of a renaissance. That stuff rocked!

I love eggnog. Well, I love 3/4 cup of skim milk with 1/4 of eggnog - otherwise it's WAY too rich. But the flavor makes me swoon. Where oh where is my PDQ?

Anyhow... when I saw Eggnog Cake Donuts on Shugary Sweets (great blog, Aimee does an amazing job at everything she sets her hands to) I had to try them. I know the perfect eggnog flavored foods are out there, somewhere, but so many are nothing more then vanilla with a pinch of nutmeg. Which is *NOT* eggnog.


But these my dear blog friends are EGGNOGTASTIC!!! 
Now I feel like Veronica in Better Off Ted and her, "Wonderflous" compliments :-)

Yes, I'm making up words. But WOW.

I added a bit more applesauce (we're high altitude) and adjusted the glaze to be thicker but otherwise I kept to her recipe exactly and the results were incredible.


Eggnog Donut Recipe:



Doughnuts:

2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
3/4 cup eggnog
1/2 cup applesauce (this is one single serving cup, I keep them on hand for baking)

Glaze:

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (I used closer to 2 1/2 cups)
3 Tbsp eggnog
1 tsp rum flavoring (mine was ultra-concentrated so I used 2 drops)
pinch of nutmeg (we stirred ours in instead of sprinkling it on, so I used about 1/2 tsp)

In large mixing bowl, blend flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Beat in egg, applesauce and eggnog.

Grease and flour donut pan. Pour batter in large ziploc. Snip the corner (big snip) and squeeze batter into the donut pan evenly. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 10-12 minutes ( for us it was 17 minutes, but again, we're high altitude) until donut springs back when lightly pressed.

Remove from pan immediately and allow to cool.

To make glaze, stir glaze ingredients together until smooth. Adjust sugar  and eggnog to desired thickness. I like it thick. Dip tops of each donut into glaze. Immediately sprinkle with a TINY pinch of nutmeg.

I also made a new mug rug that I'm extremely happy with. You can see it doing back up for the donut throughout this post.

Writing a tutorial for how I make mug rugs is darn near impossible because my method, and I use the term extremely loosely, is that when I get to the dregs of a charm pack I gather up all the little bits and pieces and sew them together until I have a nice 5x7(ish) rectangle. Then I make a top-batting-back sandwich, sew all over the place to hold it together and zig zag the edges.

Snip snip around the border with my pinking sheers and into the wash it goes to get all frayed and lovely. That's it. If a scrap is too small to attach, I appliqué it on top as a decoration. When I run out of coordinating scraps, I quit.


See... not exactly a tutorial. But it works great for me.

Linked Up With:

4 comments:

chksngr said...

Oh, yummy...you know...if I had a donut pan, I might actually make them, because I can BAKE them...I hate deep fried...seriously...I don't eat donuts for that VERY reason...

Michael said...

So glad you enjoyed the donuts. Funny you said you might cut back the sugar, I cut it back to half cup and they were totally fine! But I use more eggnog which is very rich and sweet. Anywho....thanks for trying them out, and all the kind words :)
Aimee @ ShugarySweets

Unknown said...

Those donuts sound sooo yummy! I am an eggnog addict...

Kathi said...

Those sound wonderful. I stole your recipe for the glaze, which will go wonderfully with my yummy eggnog cake recipe.

Let me know if you want my recipe (which came from my friend, Bay and includes the word "Dagnabbit". :D

I also love your mug rug. Great colors. The hearts made me smile. Fabulous.