Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Anko Cakes and Japanese Comic Books

With such a broad range of readers for this blog I haven't been sure what I should post. Do you want to hear about our life (kids, school, cooking, love), writing, crafts? Any preference?

After a day and a half of cooking the adzuki beans (never trust a recipe that says, two hours or until soft) we managed to convert them into a smooth, sweet paste. Then we spread flattened buttered bread with the adzuki goop, ran a line of whip cream across the top and rolled it up into a jelly roll. We thinly sliced the roll (think sushi) and topped each piece with whip cream and sprinkles.

How did we come to make this strange concoction? Easy, our boys are obsessed with manga and all things Japanese. They've raced through the Megaman series and Case Closed all the way to volume 24. Now they are chomping at the bit for book twenty-five to be translated into English and the wait is driving them nuts. In a fit of desperation they asked for lessons in Kanji so they can read the yet to be translated volumes themself. They're also interested in Japanese cooking due to the meals that appear in the stories. So I bought them a manga cook book to help tide them over and the house is abuzz with talk of onigari and other exotic dishes.

What has been nice is that a lot of classics have been made into graphic novels over the last few years. Trenton really enjoyed Hamlet even though the language was way above his level and the manga/comic tie-in was enough to get him through the hard parts.

Here's Brayden cooking:

8 comments:

Cathy said...

It looks yummy, what does it taste like? I think it is so awesome when kids find something that they love to read. It is so great that they want to learn Japanese so they can read the next book.

Anonymous said...

kids and school, and dog, and writing, and Utah peculiarities, and crafts!

I was wondering what anko cakes were. They sound delicious!

Sonda T said...

ok those sound yummers!

Unknown said...

Mmmm. Making me hungry right about now. =3 I buy the traditional mochi from Uwajamaya in Beaverton whenever I can. Num!!

That's such a super nifty idea, too. I've never considered it that way!

Nicole Maki said...

Cathy:

I have no idea what it tastes like. I don't eat gluten or sugar so I can't. But, my very normal-is-good eating husband gobbles them up as do two out of three of the boys.

Learning Japanese isn't the easy task they imagined. I'm interested in seeing if they stick with it.

Nicole Maki said...

Hey Grrlpup:

Thanks for the input.

We're making anko buns too which are steamed buns topped with adzuki paste - it looks extremely gross but the boys are looking forward to it.

Nicole Maki said...

Thanks Sonda.

They always eat every one they make so they must be tasty.

Nicole Maki said...

Hey Karen:

I so miss Uwajamaya! We have a nice asian market the next town over and the kids are starting to venture beyond Pocky when we go there. I'll look for mochi next time we go.