Friday, July 10, 2009

Simple Boy Card


My boys are slowly training me on what works on cards for boys and what doesn't. Apparently the darling "monstahs" out there are too baby-ish and adding ribbon and buttons is universally girly. The most scathing rebuke I've ever received on a boy card was, " this doesn't look like you made it for him, you made it for you." Ouch!

So when making a coupon for Trenton's birthday for a driving themed present I tried something new. I went very, very simple with cool metal mesh and only one embellishment. I let the hand-drawn steering wheel do the heavy-lifting for design and then just left it plain. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy. I wanted to stitch down the mesh, add some details - embellish!

But this card got a whole chorus of "cool" and "wow" and "I really like that" - which is the point. After all, I made the card for him, not for me.

3 comments:

Mary C. said...

I feel your pain on the boy card thing. But I gotta tell you, this is a really great card. Your steering wheel looks awesome. It makes me want to try to make something similar. The RGH always puts custom chrome rims on his cars. Maybe I could make a Chrome rim card that says something cool, like 'your the chrome of the crop' or some such thing. Does that sound dumb?

Tiff said...

Great advice! Boys are so difficult! And they think we are ;)

SmilynStef said...

What a fantastic boy card ... love that stearing wheel.