Thursday, January 23, 2014

Art Journal Page: Home

(click pic to big it!)



Hello Everyone. Welcome back to Art Journal Week!
Are you enjoying it?

One question I've been asked a lot is about my rule, 'paint hits paper before I can use my computer'. How on earth do I do that? What I didn't explain is that I don't mean any big painting session with a finished product - that would be impossible. But I do flip through my art journal(s) and find a page that needs some color or an image that could use some outlining  - something. If I can't find anything (rare) I will pick three colors that suit me that day and paint them on to a background as a starting layer. Some days I add a layer of stenciling, some days a little paint splatter. It's more a few minutes of checking in with my art than any big endeavor. That small act gets my mind in a creative space so when I go back hours later (for me that would be well after 3:00 PM) I'm already warmed up and have ideas I want to get on the page. Hope that makes some sense of a seemingly hard-to-execute concept.

~~~

This page is a warm one - lots of pink, red, yellow and orange with a little mangnese blue for contrast. Here's the background before I added the house and quote:


I used green gelli prints for the house and the door is sheet music colored with Dylusions ink. 


The chevron 'molding' around the door is a napkin that I glued on with Mod Podge. When adding the hot pink ink drips I blotted up the remaining ink with an index card so I could cut out the heart for the door and have it match.


Initially my plan was to use the music paper as pseudo white space but then the drips, oh, the glorious drips! I think white space is wonderful but sometimes more is more and this lively, energetic color scheme seems to clash with restraint. 

Thanks so much for visiting.

Art Journal Week Posts:
Day Four: Home (you are here)

2 comments:

Corrie Herriman said...

Great page, Nicole ! I love your use of colour; I am a bit scared of contrasts in my backgrounds. I will have to have a go at this !
Corrie x

Hazel Agnew said...

Just want to eat this, it looks soooo juicy. Am still learning this layering stuff, so taking this on board. More inspiration, need more time! X