Sunday, January 26, 2014

Respect Yourself: Art Journal Page

Click picture to see all the details, please. 




This is one of my favorite pages I've made in recent memory. The background is recurring layers of the TCW Blazonry
 used both regularly and reductive stenciling (when you wipe paint off through the holes as opposed to applying it.)

You can see the normal stenciling in the white top layer and the reductive edge bits in the blue. 


I also (finally!) used the Ganesha stamp I carved last January. I really love, love, love this stamp but it had got lost in the shuffle. I think the open image works well with simple gelli printed paper. Ganesha is the destroyer of obstacles and in a sense, that is what this page is about. 


To be honest, I think my entire 40th year has been about removing obstacles and letting go any things, ideas and even people that were in the way of my growth, health (physical/mental/spiritual) and happiness. It sounds harsh but there comes a time where letting harmful things stay in your life just won't do anymore. 


The other technique I used here that I adore (but don't hear anyone talking about) is I used watered down acrylic for the yellow drips. You just put a little puddle of paint on your palette (in my case, my craft mat) add a bunch of water and then scrape your brush off along the top of the page. It creates gorgeous, slightly-more-controlled drips and it dries water fast so you don't have to worry about smudging. As much as I love my spray inks, I love this more.


Thanks so much for visiting. I still have several more art journal pages to share so come back often.

Warmly,
~~~~Nicole

Art Journal Week Posts:

1 comment:

Hazel Agnew said...

Nice one Nicole. Little bit different, great sentiment and fab image. Love it! X