Sunday, January 4, 2009

Doing Some Scrapping

The sketch this month at the Scrap-Room was so cute I had to give it a try.



Last night Chris took me out for dinner to a wonderful Middle Eastern restaurant called Mazza. All the items on the menu have a little icon next to them to let you know what is vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free. There was a lot of items that were both vegan and gluten free so we ordered a sample platter and dug in. The food was amazing. I'm officially a huge fan of Baba Ganouj.

The waiter saw that I wasn't eating the pitas and he brought me a plate of lettuce to dip in the spreads. I've been allergic to lettuce since I had Brayden in '99 but I've been really wanting to try it since I've changed my diet. Being a vegan who can't tolerate salad makes eating out very difficult and I've been worried about what I'll be able to eat in Disneyland. On the other hand, the thought of three days sick in bed - my usual reaction to lettuce - made me very nervous about trying it again. Chris and I decided I'd try some as being sick Sunday, Monday, Tuesday is a best case scenario. He'd be home today, we don't do school on Monday and by Tuesday I'd be through the worst of it. So I ate several large leaves. It was so delicious. I've missed lettuce terribly. And I didn't get sick. Not one bit. This is so great as my dining options just opened up dramatically. Yay for my diet.

1 comment:

Mary C. said...

Nicole, This is my first time typing a comment on my new laptop.
My Allergist told me that sometimes our reactions to food are a combination of foods so maybe the lettuce thing had something to do with other stuff you were eating.
I am having a rough time with the no wheat thing. I would kill for a loaf of french bread right now. *sigh*