Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Simple Lay Out Breakdown

Last night I only had about twenty minutes but I was able to make this page. I thought it might be fun to break down to steps so you could see how a simple LO comes together.



To make this LO I used Comic Life and dropped my photos into a pre-arranged collage. I fiddled with it a bit, enlarging the photo of Avery to provide a focal point. I printed and trimmed my collage and then glued to to the blue dot paper. I trimmed a little of each side and a lot off the bottom so the dark navy cardstock would provide a frame. Next I used blue chalk ink to define the edges. The back of the patterned paper was striped so I trimmed off about two inches, punched the edge to form scallops and inked the edge, glued it down and covered the seam with a scrap of ribbon. Next I pulled out my produce/bread tabs ( saved from fruit bought at Whole Foods in Portland, OR) and used rub-ons to make my title. I added two journalling blocks that I bought as a PDF file from Marieke Vermeulen Design (great value by the way, I highly recommend that you check out her stuff on etsy.) and matted the circle on a scalloped larger circle cut from matching houndstooth paper. I embellished the LO with a few paper flowers, a punched corner and wrote in my journalling. Ta-Da.

The whole process, collage making included, took under thirty minutes. I bet most of us can find thirty minutes somewhere in our day to express ourselves creatively, record a memory for our family and take some time to ourselves.

Tip: Double sided paper is double the value and you can get LOs done fast without all that stressful color/pattern matching. For this LO I only used one sheet of paper and didn't have to match a thing. Score! Also, use your scraps to make embellishment. In this case, I had a little paper left so I made a photo corner. It adds to the cohesiveness of the page and doesn't cost a thing.

Until tomorrow,
Nicole

4 comments:

Dianne said...

What a great layout...I love the colors,the wonderful border and the amount of photos!

itsallrosi said...

you scrapped these already - good for you! great page!

CathyR said...

Awesome layout. I love the bread tab title. I'm so copying that idea.

Claudette said...

you amaze me.....the layout is fantastic, now I need to do mine