Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hump Day Hotties Blog Hop - No regrets!

I've been a dreadful Hump Day Hottie and I have to give major props to the gals who have managed to participate week after week. My life has been on the complicated side so I was extra excited to join in this time.

The theme for this hop is: What was I thinking?

"We've all done it; made one of those purchases that just seem perfect in the middle of a store with a coupon in hand. Then, when you get home, you look at it and say, "What was I thinking?" Well, that's the challenge for this week. Pull out that purchase you made, and let's get it on a card and out of your stash. It might be ribbon, DP or an embellishment, but whatever it is, get it out and use it! And...if you're so inclined, share the story behind the purchase. "

What first came to mind is this tile paper - I bought two sheets, one squares, one triangles - it's sticky pieces you can stamp on and then you have an instant tile image without the trouble of cutting. I bought it seven years ago, it was very expensive (like $2.50 a sheet) and I had to have it!!!!! Now tell me, how many of you are impressed that I could find a piece of fancy sticker paper I bought seven years ago - that in Maki terms is five moves, two apartments, two houses and a town house ago. I think I knew where it was because I felt so darn guilty about buying it and letting it sit there.

Anyhoo...

At Split Coast Stampers, this week's Try a New Technique Challenge was a fancy fold that makes an easel card - basically a card with a built in display. I thought, why not! And combined the two.

Here is my, " What was I thinking" item:


And here's the card I made:


Side View:


Ready to Mail (I was impressed how flat it folds):



This card features the main image in the Alter Skulls, one of the great sets in the newest Sugar Skull release from Bombshell Stamps.

I don't know what's been up with me and flat cards lately. Piling on piles of stuff just hasn't been where my head's at. This one looks a little plain but the image really stands out. I like that. If you want to see the template I used to figure out this card fold click HERE.

Now go see what trouble the other girls have gotten themselves into *grin*

Angela
Kas
Miss Magoo
Jacquie (Ms.October!)
Gabby
Sarah K
Glittery Katie
Lyss
Kathi
Terra


Don't forget about the current color challenge at Bombshell Stamps:

CONTEST GUIDELINES: (CONTEST ENDS OCT. 31, 2009)
The creation can be a card, layout or altered item, but must have:

1. a Bombshell Stamp somewhere
2. use of ORANGE, BLACK, GREEN, and purple is an optional substitution color.
3. tag the photo's of your submission with "BSSOCT09", to be entered in the drawing!


The perfect starter pack to go with your new Sugar Skull Stamps!
OUR FANTASTIC PRIZE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
Our Sugar Skull & "Bones Font" mounted stamps,
Festive printed papers from Crafty Chica,
Paper and brad flowers from C Custom Creations
Colorful Toe Tags from C Custom Creations

To INCLUDE YOUR SUBMISSION you need to have either an album created in our Gallery, or a profile on Paper Craft Planet (PCP). Just tag your photo with the code listed above so we can find it and add you to the drawing. You can also show off your card by posting it under this contest thread. We'd all love to see what you came up with!

16 comments:

Kelli Green aka Cajunstampingqueen said...

That is awesome!!! Love it, I am going to have to try that technique!

Carmen said...

I can see why you did get the paper though. What an amazing effect. Another fabulous card.

Carisa said...

gorgeous!

Darsana said...

The paper may have been expensive but it looks totally worth it! The card is great. I am always looking for different things to do with cards and such.

Gabby said...

This is awesome miss thing! You're work always amazes me!

CathyR said...

Awesome card. I think any layering would have taken away from the tile effect. Love the colors.

Angela Knopf said...

I LOVE the tiled paper. Seriously! You did an amazing job....but even more impressive...is the fact that you could find it. *giggle After one move I still can't find half my stuff, but after 7? Holy Smokes! Way To Go Nicole!

C. Sage Deerborn said...

Fab card. Looks great just like it is.

Shaz said...

Wicked color! I love it... I am going to make one tonight!

Renee Drew said...

EXTREMELY impressive, Nicole. The finished project and the fact that after so many moves you could still find it, are both amazing. Seems like I can't find stuff, and we've not moved. The card is incredible.

Erin said...

Oh wow!! I love that technique, and the fact that you made the card so it displayed itself. That's a great idea!!

Kathi said...

Fantastic! Wow. I really love it. It doesn't need tons of stuff piled on it. It's perfect just the way it is.

BTW, I have some of that paper too AND know where it is.

Bombshell Stamps said...

Gorgeous card Nicole! Very clean, bright, and beautiful! I also love the look of the tiles ;)

Alyssa S said...

Gorgeous! Love your coloring and the simplicity of the rest of the card. Had it been more embellished, it would've taken away from the focal point. Too cool, Ms Nicole! ;o)

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Reus Catalonia
thank you

Kas said...

cool card. lOve that mosaic thang goin on!