Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tap! Tap! Is this thing on?

Hey friends :-)

Sorry for the long breaks between posts. I haven't been able to create much with all this back business taking up my time and school/vegan posts are only fun when we are doing cool stuff. Right now we are studying... out of books... without fireworks or feasts and we're eating the same ten meals over and over again because I lack the zip to try new things and risk them flopping and having to cook twice. Sometime life is like that. When I had three under three I think we ate the same five meals over and over again so ten isn't so bad.

Good news:

* As of tonight, our Explorer is paid in full. Yay. It's also repaired - finally - save for needing a new set of tires.

* Our dryer is properly vented and we now possess the skills to knock giant holes in our walls to let the hot air out (don't you wish you could do that to people sometimes? *grin*)

* Trenton is starting to get respectable grades on his SAT practice tests. Yippee!!!! He just started eighth grade so he's doing great.

* We met neat scientists at What's In the Basement - a special event at Utah Museum of Natural History. The kids were so engaged and each expanded their interests. I had no idea Trenton likes Botany. Ditto for Avery and Anthropology. As usual, none of us care a lick about dinosaurs. Weird but true.

Bad News:

How to say this without obscenities...

My back is bad. I need fairly urgent surgery to un-bad it. The injection plan was a bust and now I need major spinal surgery to avoid permanent damage and disability. That's about as far as I feel like going on about it right now. But as I wade into the thick of things, I'll probably post more. Pretty much every fear I have has been realized. I nearly threw up when they said, " spilling spinal fluid" and let me tell you, when a discectomy sounds like a good starting spot, things are really in the toilet.

Okay fine, looks like I said a bit more.

I've been visiting all your blogs just haven't been commenting a lot. Sometimes life takes all your words away. So as a blanket comment - love all the cool things my creative friends are making and WOO-HOO NaNo season is almost upon us for my writing buddies.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No dinosaurs? Egads! Heresy! At least they're making up for it with botany and anthropology. I'll comfort myself with that. And maybe send T some rotting gingko nuts.

And no, I never want to let the hot air out of people. The hot air that comes out of people almost always smells bad.

Ten meals is plenty. When the day comes that the boys are young men living on their own, they'll likely pine for the days when there were ten different standby meals. ;-) (No aspersion being cast upon males there; H and I and everyone else I know spent a long time scrambling to find standby meals when first living on our own.)

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts about your back. I know there isn't much support I can offer from here but love and well wishes, but we'll try to keep you well-supplied with at least those two things. ;-)

Mary C. said...

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs. I'll be continuing to send prayers your way. Things will get better, they always do but when you are in the thick of it...well it stinks.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Honestly, I will come if you need help. I would gladly do anything for you... anything.
Blessings, girl.

chksngr said...

Oh, girl! I don't know how you do it...If I was in your state, we'd be eating cold cereal, so 10 meals is AMAZING!

I will be praying for you and sending huge hugs your way! You are such an inspiration, doing all that you do and doing it so well with so much pain.

Carmen said...

Yay for all the good stuff. Don't you love it when the kids surprise you like that?

What everyone else said about having the 10 standby meals - it's fantastic that you managed that, blimey if I was in your shoes it would be beans on toast or make it yourself ;) Good luck with whatever has to be done for your back pain to ease. *gentle hugs*

CathyR said...

Sending big, squishy hugs and lots of prayers your way.

I wish I had ten meals to rotate through. I'm sure your family loves them.

Botany and anthropology, cool subjects. It is exciting to watch your kids get interested in something new. It's ok not to like dinosaurs, they weren't popular in my house either. Although I think having a girl probably had something to do with that!

Perpetual Beginner said...

Ten meals sounds outrageously good, given the conditions. I suspect in your shoes, most of our meals would be creations from the boys. (They need to learn how to cook anyway, right?)

I don't know what to say about the back news, except that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

take a little piece of my art said...

Nicole...I'm so sorry to hear that the injections were a bust! I hope you're feeling better soon! All of this must be so tiring! Get as much rest as you can and take care!!!

Unknown said...

Sending you hugs and positive thoughts. I'm so sorry the injections didn't work out for you.