Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Can you help a girl out?

This is a pathetic plea to my online friends to give me a hand. I think I've hit a plateau on my diet. I seem to be bobbling back and forth, up a half pound, down a half pound for the last month. I haven't gained anything but I haven't lost either. But, next Wednesday I'll have been on my diet 180 days and I really want to break through the forty pound barrier. I really, really, really do.

The tough parts:

*I've been too sore to exercise.

*My sweetie became a vegan so I've gone from making vegan girl food to vegan feasts. Trust me, the fat cells in your rear end can tell the difference between an apple and a vegan apple crisp. And don't even get me started on vegan pesto drizzled with olive oil. MMMMMM! Sheer bliss but the calories!

* My stress level has been high (all that stinky doctor stuff) which always makes me hungry.

* Long term weight loss is boring. There I said it. BORING.

The pluses:

* I'm down 38.6 pounds so 40 is well within shooting range.

* I've started getting up with DH and having a soak in the hot tub before he goes to work. That seems to loosen things up enough that I've been able to work out twice this week already and a full thirty minutes this morning which is almost normal. Working out really helps the weight come off.

* Cravings and such aren't a problem anymore. I find the foods I eat to be incredibly satisfying.

So ladies, prop me up. Share your wisdom. I'm sure many of you have lost weight - possibly even significant amounts - and weathered a plateau. What are the tricks?

Also, I'd like you all to celebrate with me next Wednesday when I hit my 180 day goal.

5 comments:

Mary C. said...

Nicole, Here is what I can tell you from my own experience in struggling with the last few pounds.
Drink more water. Lots of water. I stopped using dressing on my salads and used salsa instead, or I'd spritz olive oil with a little balsamic vinegar on my salad. I always ate the salad first, makes you full so you don't pig out on too much rice or something.
As a carb addict, I found the salad first a lot of help.
Then drink more water. I felt like I was drowning but it made a big difference. Cold water burns more calories, so does spicy food.
Another thing that really works is writing down everything you eat but I think you are doing that already.
Oh, also eat slower (sounds dumb, I know). Put your fork down and wait till that bite is completely gone before you pick it up again.
Use a smaller plate, it looks like you have more food that way.
Believe me, weight loss is 90% psychological. I swear.
Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you. {{{hugs}}}

Elizabeth R. said...

I am so proud of you Nicole! And jealous! I wish I had the resolve to do this. I have no advice, but just wanted to let you know that you continue to be an inspiration to me. Keep it up!

Oh, and you know please don't stress about the last pound and a half. You know 40 pounds is just an arbitrary round number. What's wrong with 38 1/2 pounds? to me that would be a miracle if I could lose that, and I really do need to one of these years.

Eve said...

Good for you Nicole!
Give yourself a pat on the back.
I bet if you quit stressing about it- those final pounds will just fall off. And you will be left wondering what happened to them!

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'll second the water - it's my nemesis in weight loss, since I hate water with a passion.

I'm a heavy exercise girl, rather than a dieter per se. So not too much advice on the diet front. I do tend to recommend yoga to everybody in sight. It's done wonders for my range-of-motion and general condition - and I wasn't in bad shape to begin with.

Etha said...

not sure about "last few pounds" but I lost about 25 pounds over a long very very slow time (a pound a week at the beginning, then a pound a month) with total ease. the only thing I changed is I eat NOTHING that contains refined sugar. shopping is really easy this way as I no longer need the center aisles of the super market LOL, they put sugar in EVERYTHING!! I also don't use artificial sweeteners...
If I have a sweet tooth craving I slap some honey on a toast with almond butter and dig in ;)
My weight does fluctuate, I can add or loose some 4 pounds per week just depending on how and what I eat, but I always hover around the same 130 pounds now which feels quite good (I'm 5'6"), much better than the near 160 anyways. I suppose those were the hard last pounds to loose, but I really didn't think about it, just eliminated sugar.
I also hike 5 miles every morning in the mountains, guess that helps ;)