Saturday, December 27, 2008

Chore Wars and Cards

I was reading my friend Cindy's blog and she mentioned Chore Wars. It's an online RPG where mom acts as DM and you go on adventures by doing chores and logging them on the site. Each time you claim an adventure (like making your bed) you get the option to view your battle or simply claim your prize. I mixed in imaginary prizes (like a flaming sword) with real prizes (bubbling potion is sparkling juice) and told them that they could cash in their gold pieces for money. After I set up the chores I wanted done I sent the kids a link and watched to see what would happen.

Avery and Brayden were so into it. They loved getting to have a battle after each task and started out with easy stuff like showering. As soon as a real prize was won their enthusiasm tripled and they spent most of the day vacuuming, cleaning their room and reading. What is particularly incredible about this is that on Boxing Day you can play video games all day long. It's our Play With Toys Day and they skipped the screens and instead asked such unheard of questions as, "Mom, is it all right if I wash and change my sheets?"

Chris popped his head around the corner when he heard vacuuming, curious as to what on earth was happening in our house.

Trenton, in his wisdom, said, "Mom, I'm on to you." and didn't sign up. He played Star Wars Unleashed for hours. Then Avery cleaned the bathroom and got one of the big rewards - a computer game for his laptop. I had bought a bundle and plan on doling them out all year. Suddenly Trenton wanted the code and as soon as he signed up he grabbed the broom to start sweeping the hardwood.

How awesome is that?

This morning before breakfast all three boys had showered and Brayden and Avery had cleaned their room together (getting half the points each - a wonderful feature) and tidied the bathroom. I was amazed.

If you have kids that are at the RPG, fantasy stage I highly recommend Chore Wars.

I made a few cards this morning, here's a pair of carolers:



The paper is Scenic Route and Bazzil and the stamp is Kelly's Gnome Carolers

And speaking of the always adorable Odd Bird Planet, there is a Twelve Days of Christmas Sale going on. You can read all about it here.

6 comments:

CathyR said...

Brilliant idea to get your kids to help out around the house.

I love those cards. The elves are so cute.

Unknown said...

Hahahahahaha! Even though Trenton remembered that the Dungeon Master always wins, he still managed to forget that the Dungeon Master ALWAYS wins!

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'm glad your boys are so into it! Robbie is enthusiastically hauling out the garbage, mopping the floor and making not only his own bed, but his brother's as well. (It's worth the whole thing just to hear him holler down the stairs - "Aaron! Can I make your bed?") Aaron is a little less enthusiastic. I think mostly because his coordination and strength difficulties mean that most of the higher-earning chores are beyond him. I'm going to have to add some more things he can do, and somehow keep his brother from doing them all first.

Claudette said...

wonder if this will work for husbands...hehe

Kathi said...

The card is really cute. I love that paper with the image.

itsallrosi said...

I've never heard of this chore wars, I'll have to check it out.

love the carolers!